David Caruso: 5 Fun Facts About The 'CSI: Miami' Star
Actor David Caruso is known for playing "Horatio Caine" on CSI: Miami (2002-2012). But the star had been acting since 1976 and chose to retire following the CSI: Miami finale in 2012. We're looking back at five facts you probably didn't know about Caruso and his incredible 36 years in the spotlight.
David Stephen Caruso was born on Jan. 7, 1956, in New York City, to a family with a taste for reading: his mother, Joan, worked in a bookstore and his father, Charles Caruso, was a newspaper editor. He'd later become a household name as the star of NYPD Blue and CSI: Miami. Here are five facts about his career and personal life.
David Caruso: 5 facts about the CSI: Miami, NYPD Blue actor
(1) Caruso's approach to acting has origins in his work as a movie theatre usher. In this job, a young Caruso saw more than 80 movies a week and, in spare time, acted out film scenes with his co-workers.
(2) The actor's father left the family when he was barely two years old. As a result, Caruso modelled himself after male figures such as Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, and Edward G. Robinson, all of whom made impressions on Caruso with their screen presences and stances on ethics.
David Caruso: Spouse, family, movies and TV shows
(3) David Caruso made his TV debut in 1976 in an episode of the soap opera Ryan's Hope, in which he played an uncredited bellboy. He was only 20 years old when his career began.
(4) Caruso had his first shot on the big screen in a little-known 1980 film, Getting Wasted. This time, the young actor received on-screen credit for his role as "Danny."
(5) Off-screen, David went to the altar three times. His first marriage, to Cheri Maugans, came in 1979 and lasted only five years. Second, from 1984 to 1987, he was married to actress Rachel Ticotin, with whom he had his daughter Greta. Caruso would remarry in 1996 with Margaret Buckley before divorcing in 2007. He also has two children with former partner Lisa Marquez.
These are just some facts about the career and personal life of David Caruso. Though long a respected actor, he solidified his career with NYPD Blue and later CSI: Miami, roles which still have fans thinking about Mr. Caruso today. He turned 64 years old in 2020.
For more, see pictures of David Caruso through the years here.