House of Cards became one of the most popular and most awarded shows around, but it was suddenly rocked by sexual assault allegations that overtook Hollywood by storm during the Me Too movement. Spacey was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old actor back in 1981, with Spacey himself later apologizing for his behavior in a veiled admission of fault. More and more allegations soon followed!
As a result, Kevin Spacey had to be removed from the production, and when it became clear that the allegations had truth to them, Spacey had to be let go from the show altogether. The problem was, he played the lead character in "Frank Underwood."
Kevin Spacey To Pay $30M to Netflix
Now, the studio behind the show, MRC, is taking legal action against the actor suing him and his production companies for $30M in damages.
A legal motion filed in Los Angeles says that Spacey violated his contract's demands for professional behavior by "engaging in certain conduct in connection with several crew members in each of the five seasons that he starred in and executive produced House of Cards."
"The safety of our employees, sets and work environments is of paramount importance to MRC and why we set out to push for accountability," said producers in a statement Monday. No official response from Spacey has been recorded so far, but it's only a matter of time before his legal team mounts a defense.
Many believe the actor could make a comeback in Hollywood, but this latest bit of news is sure to put a stop to any plans of that nature!