The amazing Adam Driver has gained international recognition in the past few years due to his appearances in films like Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) where he played "Kylo Ren/Ben Solo," BlacKkKlansman (2018) portraying Detective "Flip Zimmerman," and recently in the Oscar-nominated film Marriage Story (2019) alongside Scarlett Johansson and House of Gucci (2021) alongside Lady Gaga. But what was his life like before being famous?
Marriage Story star Adam Driver: This was his life before fame
Adam Driver was born in San Diego, California, but moved to his mother's hometown Mishawaka, Indiana, when he was seven years old. He has claimed to be a "misfit" back in the day, as he used to climb radio towers, and set objects on fire.
Before his Hollywood life, he worked as a door-to-door salesman selling vacuum cleaners and as a telemarketer for a waterproofing company. After the 9/11 attacks in New York City, he enlisted in the US Marine Corps and served for almost three years as an 81mm mortarman.
Adam Driver: From door-to-door salesman to Hollywood
Back in the day, Adam Driver auditioned for Juilliard but was rejected, then he attended the University of Indianapolis for one year, before applying for Juilliard once again, this time succeeding. The rest is history.
He began his acting career in New York City on both Broadway and off-Broadway plays; then he made his on-screen debut in the 2009 television series The Unusuals, and two years later he made his feature film debut in the biographical drama J.Edgar.
Adam Driver's notable works in television also include Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Girls, and most recently Bob's Burgers. On the big screen, his resumé includes the films Lincoln, Bluebird, and This Is Where I Leave You.
Five quick facts about Marriage Story star Adam Driver
- He has been married to Joanne Tucker since 2013. They live in New York's Brooklyn district and have one son, but decided to keep details about him private
- Adam Driver doesn't like to watch his own films - he even declines to listen to audio clips of himself while being interviewed
- He is best known for portraying socially awkward characters
- Driver is set to star in the upcoming films 65 and White Noise
- He has won more than 40 awards and has been nominated more than 90 times, including the Oscars and Golden Globes