Charles & Camilla To Obey Holiday Travel Ban After Criticism: Report
For the first time in 15 years, Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla will not celebrate the New Year at the Balmoral Estate in Scotland. According to Daily Mail, they've chosen not to go because they "don't wan't to cause trouble" after Buckingham Palace was reminded of travel restrictions following Prince William and Duchess Kate's border-crossing train tour earlier this month. Read on for the full story.
Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla reportedly will not travel to Scotland for Hogmanay celebrations later this month.
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall typically celebrate the New Year in Scotland at Balmoral, having done so every year since they were married in 2005. However, this year, the royals will skip the tradition for the first time due to a ban on nonessential travel. Apparently, they felt pressured to make the decision and it came with sadness.
Charles & Camilla skipping Balmoral New Year tradition: Report
According to Daily Mail, a source said that Charles and Camilla were wary of going to Balmoral after Buckingham Palace was "reminded" of travel restrictions in Scotland following Prince William and Duchess Kate's royal train tour earlier this month.
"It's very sad, but their Royal Highnesses do not want to cause trouble," the source told Daily Mail. "They understand the difficulties of travelling during the crisis and look forward to returning to Scotland as soon as possible."
The outlet reports that the Palace consulted the Scottish government ahead of William and Kate's cross-border tour, only to be "taken aback" when Scottish National Party leader Nicola Sturgeon publicly spoke on "reminding" the royals of the current ban on nonessential travel. Nonetheless, it sounds as if Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla won't push matters further in the coming weeks.
Royal Family's Christmas traditions go by the wayside in 2020
Should Charles and Camilla stay clear of the Highlands this holiday, it would be yet another royal holiday tradition to fall amid the pandemic. The Royal Family has already cancelled the annual gathering at Sandringham and they appear committed to following health and safety precautions.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge had visited Scotland on Dec. 7 as part of their recent royal train tour to thank frontline healthcare workers. While many were thrilled to see the popular couple, the trip was met with a mixed reception in the UK press, because the royals crossed into Scotland and Wales despite an active ban on nonessential travel.