Meghan Markle has earned a small but significant victory in one of her legal battles! As People shares, it was decided on Wednesday that the five friends who came to Meghan's defense last year won't be named in her case against Associated Newspapers Ltd. and The Mail on Sunday.
Meghan "felt it was necessary" to protect friends, says rep
Meghan wanted to ensure that her friends' identities wouldn't become public in the court case. Last month, the Duchess of Sussex said she felt The Mail on Sunday was "playing a media game with real lives" because of their threat to expose the names of those who defended her from the press. "I have concluded that, for the time being at least, the court should grant the claimant the order that she seeks," High Court judge Mark Warby decreed.
"The Duchess felt it was necessary to take this step to try and protect her friends—as any of us would—and we’re glad this was clear," a representative from Meghan's team told People. "We are happy that the Judge has agreed to protect these five individuals."
Meghan's protection of friends in case "may well change"
Meghan's lawyers cited the "right" her friends have to privacy as reason to protect their identities. However, People mentions that while Justice Warby has agreed to grant Meghan the order, he said that his ruling is "an interim decision" and may possibly change if one of the five friends gave evidence at a trial.
"The weight to be given to the relevant factors may well change as the case progresses," Justice Warby said. Even though it's unknown how long the order will last, this ruling certainly comes as a relief to Meghan, who lost the first round of her lawsuit against the tabloid earlier this year!
Meghan has also filed a lawsuit against paparazzi with Prince Harry after drone photos of son Archie— which they are fighting the publication of— were taken from their backyard. Here's hoping the next stages of Meghan's court cases will go in her favour!