Prince Harry and Prince William have both reacted to the news that a 1995 interview with Princess Diana was arranged via unscrupulous methods. As Entertainment Tonight shares, on Thursday the BBC acknowledged that the interview "fell short of high standards of integrity and transparency," and the late Princess of Wales' sons have now reacted.
Harry addresses unethical journalism's role in Diana's death
Prince Harry called his mother "an incredible woman who dedicated her life to service," characterizing her as "resilient, brave, and unquestionably honest." He then went on to talk about how the media was a contributing factor in Princess Diana's death, citing the "exploitation and unethical practices" she was subjected to over the course of her lifetime.
While the Duke of Sussex thanked those who have been accountable in their efforts, he also reflected on the "widespread" lack of journalistic integrity. "Our mother lost her life because of this, and nothing has changed," Harry stated. "By protecting her legacy, we protect everyone, and uphold the dignity with which she lived her life. Let’s remember who she was and what she stood for."
William says Diana interview "established a false narrative"
William called the result of the investigation spearheaded by John Dyson— who used to be a British Supreme Court Judge— "extremely concerning". His claims against the BBC include that they "lied and used fake documents to obtain the interview with my mother, made lurid and false claims about the royal family which played on her fears and fueled paranoia."
The Duke of Cambridge also stated his belief that "the deceitful way the interview was obtained substantially influenced what my mother said," suggesting it strained Princess Diana and Prince Charles' relationship. Among other things, William said the interview "holds no legitimacy" because it has "effectively established a false narrative which, for over a quarter of a century, has been commercialized by the BBC and others."
Just days before the report from the BBC was released, Martin Bashir— the journalist responsible for conducting the controversial interview— suddenly stepped down from the network. Harry and William aren't the only royals to condemn the interview. It was Charles Spencer who initially requested an investigation into the interview— which Diana's old boyfriend has called "manipulative"— last year.