Harry & Meghan Will Make The "Most Viewed" Content On Netflix, CEO Says
Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan will produce some of Netflix's "most exciting" and "most viewed" content, according to co-CEO Reed Hastings. The Netflix boss made the predictions during an interview on Monday. He also commented on the roles the couple will take on as part of their production deal, which was announced earlier this month. Read on to see his full comments.
Do Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have the next Tiger King up their sleeves?
Netflix is betting big on the couple's streaming content. But Reed Hastings, co-CEO of Netflix, has nothing but confidence in the shows they'll produce for the streamer.
The Netflix boss commented on his service's deal with the Duke and Duchess during a Sept. 10 interview with CNBC. He's confident the couple will produce some of the "most exciting" and "most viewed" Netflix shows, which he suggested could begin to debut in 2021.
Harry & Meghan's shows: Netflix boss speaks out
"Gonna be epic entertainment. So excited about that deal," Hastings began, reacting to having Harry and Meghan on board. "They're smart; they were shopping around across all of the major companies," he told CNBC.
How did the Duke and Duchess end up at Netflix? "I think we really put together the best complete package and we're going to do a wide range of entertainment with them," the CEO explained. "I can't tell you any more about it at this point, but I think it will be some of the most exciting, most viewed content next year."
Asked about the prospect of Meghan returning to acting, Hastings said: "The real focus for them is on being producers and on building that production capacity. So that's the key thing. They've developed a great eye for a story and we'll be working with them on that basis."
Suits star Meghan Markle not returning to acting on Netflix
Per an earlier release, Harry and Meghan will produce scripted series, docuseries, documentaries, features and children's programming for Netflix. But Hastings' comments reiterate once more that royal fans shouldn't expect to see the Duchess return to acting in narrative-based projects.
Hastings also speaks out after an earlier survey of British audiences predicted an underwhelming level of interest in the couple's new Netflix deal.
Since signing the contract, the Sussexes repaid Frogmore Cottage renovation funds, and Prince Harry filed a "legal complaint" against The Sunday Times on an article connecting the Netflix deal to a cancelled Invictus Games charity event.