• Home
  • Royals
  • Prince Harry: Sad News For 2021 Invictus Games

Prince Harry Confirms Sad News For Invictus Games In 2021

Prince Harry Sad News For Invictus Games 2021
February 2, 2021 - 20:26 / Lucas Anderson

Prince Harry has shared the sad news that this year's Invictus Games will once again be postponed, this time until 2022. The event, to be held in The Hague, was first moved from 2020 to 2021 due to the pandemic, but it's now been rescheduled again for next spring. Harry confirmed the delay in a new video announcement, enlisting veterans of the Games for an uplifting message despite the postponement. Read on to watch the video.

Prince Harry and the Invictus team are facing another setback for the Games of 2020.

Today, Invictus confirmed that the 2020 event in The Hague—which had been moved to Spring 2021—will once again be postponed for a full year. Instead, the Games have been rescheduled for Spring 2022 due to current social distancing measures that would impede the competitions. Prince Harry led a video message for the announcement with Invictus Games veterans, who spoke on resilience and solidarity with frontline health workers.

Sad news: Prince Harry's Invictus Games postponed to 2022

"We are Invictus," Harry said to open the video on the postponement, followed by the Invictus team adding: "We've seen struggles, we've felt loss and pain. We survived and we will thrive. Because we know resilience, because we are resilience. It's who we are."

Expressing solidarity with frontline health workers, the Duke said: "To the key workers on the frontlines in the battle against the pandemic, we are with you. And when the world is ready," he added, before a chorus of voices joined him, "we will compete with all we have, with all we are." 

"If we can overcome this moment, so can you," the Invictus team said. "So let's do it: Together."

2021 Invictus Games again pushed to 2022

It's another unfortunate delay for the Invictus Games, the adaptive multi-sport event for wounded, sick, and ill veterans, founded by Prince Harry in 2014. In a full statement, the Organising Committee of the Games added that it "intends to move the event to the Spring of 2022" and remains committed to delivering an in-person Games in The Hague.

Prince Harry's Invictus Games won't go ahead in 2021.

The Games are a major pride for the Duke of Sussex, so the postponement no doubt comes with disappointment. We join him in eagerly awaiting the 2022 Games in The Hague.

In late 2020, we also saw Prince Harry reconnect with JJ Chalmers, seen in today's Invictus video, during the Games veteran's time on Strictly Come Dancing.