- Dev Patel is a famous actor
- He has starred in many films
- Learn more about his life before fame
Dev Patel was born on April 23, 1990 in Harrow, United Kingdom. His parents, Anita and Raj are Gujarati Indian Hindus and emigrated to England as teenagers. Patel was raised in the Hindu Faith. He speaks English and also some Gujarati. It was in high school that he had his first acting role in the school's production of Twelfth Night.
Dev Patel in Skins
His mother Anita saw a casting advert in Metro and took Dev to the audition where he was cast in the role of "Anwar Kharral" in the E4 teen drama Skins. Dev played the role of "Anwar" for two seasons in 2007 and 2008.
Dev Patel's Breakthrough Role in Slumdog Millionaire
In 2008, Dev Patel earned his breakthrough role in the feature film Slumdog Millionaire as "Jamal Malik". This role skyrocketed the young actor to fame. The film itself won four Golden Globes, and eight Academy Awards.
Other notable film roles came to Dev after that, including The Last Airbender (2010), The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011), About Cherry (2012), Lion (2016), Hotel Mumbai (2018), and The Personal History of David Copperfield (2019).
Regarding television, Dev also found great success after Skins. He starred in 22 episodes of The Newsroom (2012-2014) and most recently, the Amazon Prime video original, Modern Love (2019).
Fun Facts About Actor Dev Patel:
- Dev was in a relationship with Slumdog Millionaire co-star Freida Pinto for 5 years
- Patel competed in national and international competitions for Taekwondo as a child
- He was still finishing high school while working on Skins
- Dev won the BAFTA for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Lion
- Patel is said to be dating his Hotel Mumbai co-star Tilda Cobham-Hervey