Eminem: What is "The Real Slim Shady" Actually Doing Now?
Eminem has been active in the music industry since the 1980's. His impressive career consists of 10 studio albums which have earned him more than 15 Grammy Awards. But what has the rapper been doing lately? We have all the information!
Originally from Missouri, but raised in Detroit, Michigan, the 46-year-old rapper started to establish his popularity in the music world back in the 1980s. His stage name Eminem comes from his initials M(arshall) M(athers). The rapper, songwriter, and record producer is considered to be one of the greatest hip-hop artists of all time and was even called the "King of Hip-Hop" by "Rolling Stone" in 2011. Overall Eminem has 10 studio albums and owns his own record company; with an estimated net worth of 160 million dollars, the rapper has won 15 Grammy Awards including Best Rap Album and Best Rap Song.
His career as a rapper started with the group New Jacks in 1988 alongside DJ Butter Fingers, together they released a self-titled EP in 1995. But after creating his alter ego "Slim Shady" which gave him the opportunity to express his anger with lyrics about drugs and crime, he released Infinite in 1996, he recorded his first EP as a solo artist Slim Shady EP in 1997, and released The Slim Shady LP in 1999, which is probably one of his most important works featuring My Name Is, one of his most successful tracks.
Eminem: What has the rapper been up to in the past years?
During the 2000's Eminem released a couple more albums like The Marshall Mathers LP in 2000, which features three particular songs that became highly praised but also highly criticized. The album sold almost 2 million copies in his first week; its first single The Real Slim Shady was a success despite the insulting claims toward other celebrities like Christina Aguilera; the second one The Way I Am was one of the audiences' favorites; the third one Stan featuring the English singer Dido was particularly special due to its emotional content about a big Eminem fan who after not getting a response to the letters he sent to the rapper decides to drive into the river.
Later on, he released The Eminem Show, and Encore, in 2002 and 2004 respectively, just a couple of months before rumors and speculations about the end of his rapping career were spread During the 2000's he had some minor roles in some film productions, but Eminem had his major breakthrough on the big screen in the quasi-autobiographical 2002 film 8 Mile.
What is "The Real Slim Shady" actually doing now?
Since 2010 the rapper has released 4 more albums, Recovery, The Marshall Mathers LP 2, Revival, in 2010, 2013, and 2017, respectively, and most recently Kamikaze in 2018. This year he embarked on his 2019 tour Rapture, across different stages in Australia, and New Zealand; he has also scheduled live shows in the United Arab Emirates for October 2019.
Some interesting facts about the hip-hop star Eminem
- He married Kimberly Anne Scott twice; from 1999 to 2001, and briefly during 2006; together they have one daughter named Hailie
- A great number of artists have cited Eminem as an influence, including Ed Sheeran, Lana del Rey, and The Weeknd
- The rapper has opened up about his addiction to prescription drugs and has admitted that before becoming sober, he never imagined writing lyrics about helping others in terms of substance abuse
- Before being a hip-hop artist Eminem wanted to be a comic book artist
- He failed the 9th grade three times but always said that it was not because he was not smart, but because "all he wanted to do was rap"
- Believe it or not, he has admitted that he does not allow the same amount of profanity he uses in his lyrics in his house