Much has been said about Ellen DeGeneres' successful television career, which started in the late 1980s and which mainly focuses on comedy. We have seen her many times in different shows like Ellen DeGeneres: The Beginning, The Ellen Show, Ellen DeGeneres: Here and Now, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and most recently Ellen DeGeneres: Relatable.
We all know that the 64-year-old television personality and stand-up comedian is best known for hosting shows featuring celebrity guests with whom she talks about very funny -sometimes controversial- topics. But now we think that it's time to take a look at her love life, which has also been quite successful in the past years! Ellen is happily married to Australian actress Portia de Rossi since 2008. But who exactly is she?
Ellen DeGeneres has been happily married to Portia de Rossi since 2008
In 1997 Ellen DeGeneres came out as a lesbian and gained intense media coverage, especially due to the fact that her mother claimed to be "shocked" after the announcement (the good news is that nowadays she is one of Ellen's strongest supporters.) A couple of months later Ellen started dating actress Anne Heche, a romantic relationship that lasted three years, and then she reportedly maintained a close relationship with actress Alexandra Hedison.
But it was actually in 2004 when everything changed as she started to have a relationship with the beautiful Portia de Rossi! The pair got engaged just right after the overturn of the same-sex marriage ban in California, and four years later they got married at their home in Beverly Hills, where they currently live with their three cats and four dogs.
Who is Ellen's wife Portia de Rossi? Here are some interesting facts about her
- Portia de Rossi was born in Horsham Victoria, Australia, she is 49 years old
- She is best known for starring in series like Ally McBeal, Arrested Development, Nip/Tuck and Scandal
- She is also a philanthropist and supports several charitable organizations like Locks of Love, which provides human hair wigs for children with alopecia or cancer
- Portia de Rossi worked as a model for print and TV commercials as a child
- She was married to documentary filmmaker Mel Metcalfe from 1996 to 1999, as part of a plan to get a green card
- She frequently posts pictures on Instagram showing how much she loves the fabulous Ellen!