Morgan Wallen Shares Video Statement After Racial Slur Outburst
Morgan Wallen has spoken out in a new video addressing his use of the N-word in an outburst caught on video last week. The country musician addressed the incident at length in an Instagram video, in which he told fans to stop defending him and explained the steps he's taking to seriously make amends and do more than apologize. Watch for yourself below.
Morgan Wallen has released a new statement addressing his use of the N-word in an outburst caught on video last week.
On Wednesday night, Wallen shared an Instagram video explaining that he wants to take serious action, beyond just apologizing, after the incident. His next steps, he explained, include working with Black organizations, staying sober, and taking ownership for his behaviour.
Morgan Wallen: New video on outburst and N-word use
Wallen began: "I'm long overdue to make a statement regarding my last incident. I wanted to collect my thoughts, seek some real guidance and come to you with a complete thought before I did."
He explained that the incident occurred in hour 72 of a 72-hour "bender," a fact he said he's not proud of either. "I let my parents down, and they're the furthest thing from the person in that video. I let my son down, and I'm not okay with that."
"So this week," Wallen continued, "I've been waiting to say anything further until I got the chance to apologize to those closest to me that I knew I personally hurt. I also accepted some invitations from some amazing Black organizations, some executives and leaders to engage in some very real and honest conversations."
"They had every right to step on my neck while I was down, to not show me any grace. But they did the exact opposite — they offered me grace, and they also paired that with an offer to learn and to grow."
"That kindness really inspired me to dig deeper on how to do something about this," he said. "And one thing I've learned already and am specifically sorry for is that it matters — my words matter. A word can truly hurt a person and in my core, it's not what I'm okay with."
Morgan Wallen tells fans to stop defending him
Wallen went on to say that he's now been sober for nine days since the incident, before telling fans to stand down in defending his actions. "I appreciate those who still see something in me and have defended me," he said, "but for today, please don't. I was wrong. It's on me. I take ownership for this and I fully accept any penalties I'm facing." You can watch the five-minute video below.
Following the release of the explicit Wallen video last week, he faced mass backlash and a wave of consequences from record labels, radio stations, the Academy of Country Music, CMT, and many notable country musicians.
Wallen, 27, had also been in hot water in 2020 when his planned SNL appearance was pulled — but later rescheduled — after he violated COVID-19 protocols ahead of his performance.