Kate Middleton has returned to public duties after one of the hardest periods of her life. The Princess of Wales first shared her cancer diagnosis in March 2024, after tests following major abdominal surgery found that cancer had been present. She later completed chemotherapy in September 2024 and confirmed in January 2025 that she is in remission. Her gradual return to work has included major royal appearances, while Prince William has also offered a rare update on her condition, saying she is now in good form.
Also interesting:
Kate Middleton Shared Diagnosis After January Surgery
In January 2024, doctors believed Kate’s condition was non-cancerous when she underwent major abdominal surgery in London. She spent 13 days at The London Clinic before returning home to Windsor to continue her recovery. In her March 2024 video message, the princess explained what changed after the operation. "In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London, and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous," she said according to People. Further tests then confirmed that cancer had been present, changing the course of her year.
Preventative Chemotherapy Followed in 2024
After the diagnosis, Kate said her medical team advised a course of preventative chemotherapy. She kept details of the illness private, including the type of cancer, while she and Prince William focused on telling Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis in the right way. The palace also stressed that her medical information would remain private. During the same period, King Charles was also undergoing cancer treatment, placing health concerns at the center of royal life in early 2024 and adding to an already difficult stretch for the family.
Kate Middleton Finished Treatment in September
By September 2024, Kate confirmed that chemotherapy had ended after months of treatment. She described the previous nine months as deeply challenging for the family and said recovery would take time. Her first public engagement after treatment came the following month, marking a careful but clear step back into royal work. She later appeared at Remembrance Sunday and her Christmas carol service. According to Daily Mail, her May 2026 trip to Italy was viewed by aides as an important stage in her recovery and her first overseas work visit since the diagnosis.
Prince William Says Kate Is in “Good Form”
Kate announced in January 2025 that she was in remission and said her focus remained on recovery. Since then, she has continued to speak openly, though briefly, about the lasting impact of cancer treatment. During a hospital visit in 2026, she noted that the experience is not linear and includes fear, exhaustion, strength and connection. Prince William later gave a warm update during a radio appearance, praising her resilience and the role she plays at home. "She's an amazing mum, an amazing wife, and, literally, our family couldn't cope without her. She's been absolutely stunning, brilliant," he said.