Meghan Markle made a solo appearance in Geneva on May 17 as the Duchess of Sussex joined health leaders and bereaved families to support stronger protections for children online. The royal attended the launch of the Lost Screen Memorial at Place des Nations ahead of the 79th World Health Assembly. According to People Magazine, the installation features 50 illuminated lightboxes showing the lock screen images of children who died after online violence and digital harm. Meghan used the occasion to press for international action rather than private coping strategies.
Also interesting:
Meghan Markle Backs Lost Screen Memorial in Geneva
The memorial was created through Archewell Philanthropies in partnership with The Parents' Network and will remain on display in Geneva through May 22. Meghan appeared alongside World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and families whose children are represented in the installation. The display had previously been shown in New York City and Los Angeles, but this latest stop brought the message directly to a major global health gathering. Its placement near the United Nations offices added weight to the call for coordinated policy and platform reform.
Duchess of Sussex Calls Online Harm a Public Health Issue
In her speech, Meghan argued that dangerous digital spaces should be treated with the same urgency as other threats to children’s safety. “We did not tell parents to create their own seatbelts. We did not ask children to test unsafe medicine. We did not shrug at poisoned water or defective toys and call it the price of progress," said Meghan according to People Magazine. She also warned that new technologies are making existing risks worse, saying AI is accelerating and amplifying harmful patterns that have already damaged young lives.
Families Stand at the Center of Meghan’s Message
Meghan focused much of her address on the children honored by the memorial and the families living with that loss. She said each child had once filled a home with laughter and possibility, turning the installation into more than a policy symbol. It became a direct reminder of what online harm can cost. Amy Neville, whose son Alexander is included in the display, also spoke at the gathering. The event tied personal grief to a broader campaign for accountability from tech platforms, lawmakers and community leaders.
Archewell Expands a Long-Term Digital Safety Campaign
The Geneva appearance fits into a wider effort by Meghan and Prince Harry to push online child safety through Archewell’s work. The couple previously introduced the memorial in New York in 2025 as part of the No Child Lost to Social Media campaign. Meghan has also spoken publicly about her own experience with online abuse, linking that history to the need for safer digital spaces for young people. In Geneva, she ended with a call for public pressure on platforms, support for stronger laws and more intentional behavior online.