Meghan Markle is preparing for her first major acting role in nearly a decade as she and Prince Harry get ready for an extended stay in Britain. According to People Magazine, the Duchess of Sussex has been offered a U.K.-based project, with details still being kept private. The new role is said to be one factor in the couple’s decision to return with Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, later this month. Their move is not permanent, but it marks a major change after six years in California.
Meghan Markle Takes First Major Role Since Suits
Actor Meghan Markle last held a regular screen role when she played Rachel Zane on Suits, wrapping up her final episodes before her 2018 wedding to Prince Harry. This new job would be her biggest acting commitment since then. A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex declined to comment on the reported project. Bronte Coy gave one hint about the role when she said, “I’m told it’s significant, and she’s very excited about it,” according to People Magazine. For Meghan, it signals a return to a field she left behind during her royal transition.
Prince Harry and Meghan Keep Montecito Base
The family’s shift to Britain does not mean a full departure from the United States. Their Montecito home will remain in place, while Meghan’s business interests, including As ever, Archewell Productions and Archewell Philanthropies, will continue to operate from the U.S. Prince Harry is also expected to keep working on both sides of the Atlantic. His schedule includes ongoing charity efforts and preparations linked to the 2027 Invictus Games in Birmingham. The new acting role, Harry’s commitments and the children’s schooling appear to have aligned at the same moment.
Archie and Lilibet Settle Into School in Britain
Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet are set to attend school in Britain during the family’s stay, adding another practical reason for the move. The couple are expected to establish a private, non-royal home base rather than return to any formal royal residence. That distinction matters. Since leaving Frogmore Cottage, they have not had a home of their own in the country. This next setup appears designed to give the children structure while allowing their parents to manage work in both Britain and the United States without making the relocation permanent.
King Charles Learns of Sussex Family Plans
King Charles was made aware of the family’s plans on Aug. 16, as reported by People Magazine, and he is understood to welcome more time with them in a private setting. The monarch recently reunited with Archie and Lilibet during a July visit that included time at Highgrove House. Harry and Meghan also traveled to Althorp House, Princess Diana’s childhood home and burial site, during that trip. The upcoming stay in Britain may create more room for family contact as Meghan resumes acting and Harry continues balancing public work with private family life.