- Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 70 years on the throne
- The Platinum Jubilee will be celebrated for four days
- The June 2–5 events include a big concert
In honour of Queen Elizabeth's 70th anniversary, there are celebrations across the UK. At the beginning of June, various events, parades, and concerts will take place for four whole days. Preparations have been in full swing for several weeks.
70 years: Schedule for Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee
From June 2 to June 5, Queen Elizabeth II is celebrated with these special events, which are broadcast in local time as follows:
- On June 2 at 10 a.m. starts the four-day celebration with the "Queen's Birthday Parade." Around 400 musicians and 1,400 soldiers start at Buckingham Palace and moves through the city. At the end of the parade, the royals gather on the balcony to see the Royal Air Force. It is still unclear if the Queen will appear.
- On June 3, a service will be held at St. Paul's Cathedral in London in honour of the Queen. The celebration opens at 12:10 p.m.
- The highlight of June 4 is probably the "Platinum Party" with a big concert at Buckingham Palace. The tickets have been sold out for several weeks. The Queen herself is expected at the horse race at Epsom Downs.
- June 5, the final day of celebrations, will be marked with street parties and communal lunches across London. To end the festivities, a large parade runs with dancers, musicians, and costumes representing each phase of the Queen's reign.
The program certainly has something for everyone. To ensure that as many Brits as possible can take part in the celebrations, a public holiday has been introduced. In addition, pubs will remain open longer.
70th Jubilee: THESE guests are expected
It remains to be seen how many events Queen Elizabeth II will actually attend. In the past, the 96-year-old already had to cancel several appointments for health reasons. Other prominent guest appearances are already taken care of.
Among others, singers Ed Sheeran and Sir Cliff Richard, and Helen Mirren are expected as star guests. George Ezra will star at the Platinum Party at the Palace.
Expect to see music legends like Paul McCartney and Annie Lennox. An appearance by Queen guitarist Brian May is rumoured for the finale.
In addition, Prince Harry and his wife Duchess Meghan have already announced that they will travel to England with their children Archie, 3, and Lilibet, 11 months.