The inside scoop here...
Queen Elizabeth II, or Elizabeth Alexandra Mary from the House of Windsor, was the eldest daughter of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. At the age of 25 she became Queen of Great Britain and the Commonwealth. She had four children with her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
When Queen Elizabeth II was born, no one thought she would ever sit on the throne. Her father Prince George VI was the second in line to the throne but only became King after his older brother abdicated. George VI reigned until his death in 1952. With his passing, Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Elizabeth II was the longest-ruling monarch until her death in 2022. In 2017, the Queen of England celebrated her 70th wedding anniversary with Prince Philip.
Together with Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II had four children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. The Queen was also a very proud grandmother and great-grandmother, as she had many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Queen Elizabeth II was extremely popular, but one event annoyed the British people: Her reaction to the death of Lady Diana (†36). Queen Elizabeth II and Lady Di previously had a difficult relationship and after Diana's death, the Queen and her entire family retired from the public eye for some time.
While the Queen did everything she could to protect her grandchildren, the British people resented the Queen for not expressing herself publicly until days after the tragedy.
However, the Queen's popularity increased again and in the years before her death, the people loved the British Royal family more than ever before.
When Queen Elizabeth passed away on September 8, 2022, the world mourned for quite some time. The funeral processions were days long and it was after a few months, her son Charles took over as King.
Queen Elizabeth II was socially committed to several organizations dealing with numerous issues over the course of her reign, most of them being based in Great Britain. For example, the Queen supported educational institutions, hospitals and sports clubs, as well as various cultural associations.
• Queen Elizabeth II was a fan of Corgis and she had over 30 dogs of this breed.
• During the Second World War, Queen Elizabeth was trained to be a truck driver and mechanic and enjoyed driving cars until the end.
• In 1998 Queen Elizabeth II chauffeured the King of Saudi Arabia through Scotland. The King was horrified because women were not allowed to drive a car in Saudi Arabia at that time.
• Queen Elizabeth II was the only person in Great Britain who was allowed to declare war on other countries.
• Eight actresses have already portrayed Queen Elizabeth II in various films or series, including Claire Foy and Helen Mirren.