Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II, or Elizabeth Alexandra Mary from the House of Windsor, is the eldest daughter of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. At the age of 25 she became Queen of Great Britain and the Commonwealth. She has four children with her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
When Queen Elizabeth II was born, no one thought she would ever sit on the throne. Her father Prince George VI was the second in line to the throne but only became King, after his older brother abdicated. George VI reigned until his death in 1952. With his passing, Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Elizabeth II is the longest ruling monarch to this day. In 2017, the Queen of England celebrated her 70th wedding anniversary with Prince Philip.
Together with Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II has four children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. The Queen is also a very proud grandmother and great-grandmother, as she has many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Queen Elizabeth II: Princess Diana's Death
Queen Elizabeth II is extremely popular, but one event annoyed the British people: Her reaction to the death of Lady Diana (†36). Queen Elizabeth II and Lady Di previously had a difficult relationship and after Diana's death the Queen and her entire family retired from the public eye for some time.
While the Queen did everything she could to protect her grandchildren, the British people resented the Queen for not expressing herself publicly until days after the tragedy.
However, the Queen's popularity increased again and nowadays the people love the British Royal family more than ever before.
Queen Elizabeth's death is already being rehearsed
Today Queen Elizabeth takes fewer appointments and is not seen out for public events as much as before, but the Queen is still surprisingly fit. Yet, British ministers have already rehearsed how to proceed in the event of her death. According to the royal household, this has nothing to do with the Queen's state of health. In public, Queen Elizabeth II is very professional and rarely shows her feelings. She expresses herself with colorful ensembles, which she prefers to wear. She's always seen with her pearl necklace and matching hat.
Queen Elizabeth II is socially committed to several organizations dealing with numerous issues, which most of them are based in Great Britain. For example, the Queen supports educational institutions, hospitals and sports clubs, as well as various cultural associations.
• Queen Elizabeth II is a fan of Corgis and she has already had over 30 dogs of this breed.
• During the Second World War, Queen Elizabeth was trained to be a truck driver and mechanic and still enjoys driving cars today.
• In 1998 Queen Elizabeth II chauffeured the King of Saudi Arabia through Scotland. The king was horrified, because women were not allowed to drive a car in Saudi Arabia at that time.
• Queen Elizabeth II is the only person in Great Britain who is allowed to declare war on other countries.
• Eight actresses have already portrayed Queen Elizabeth II in various films or series, including Claire Foy and Helen Mirren.