Queen Margrethe of Denmark has returned home after a recent hospital stay linked to heart health concerns. According to People, the Danish Royal House said the 86-year-old former monarch was discharged from Rigshospitalet and is now back at Fredensborg Palace. The update follows several anxious days after the palace confirmed she had been admitted for observation and further examinations. Her recovery has already led to one change in her public calendar, as the royal household continues to keep a close watch on her condition.
Also interesting:
Queen Margrethe Leaves Rigshospitalet for Fredensborg
The palace said Queen Margrethe had been discharged and was returning to Fredensborg Palace, while also passing along her thanks for the many messages sent during her hospitalization. The official statement offered a brief but positive sign after the former queen was admitted on May 14. At the time, the royal household said she was tired but in good spirits and would remain in the hospital through the weekend for monitoring. Her release now marks an important step in her recovery after the heart attack.
Queen Mary Shares Update After Hospital Visit
Queen Mary also gave a firsthand update after visiting her mother-in-law. “Well, I’ve actually just come from the hospital, and she is doing much better. And fortunately, she is now on her way home to Fredensborg,” Queen Mary told reporters. She added, “Now we are neighbors, so it’s absolutely wonderful. Yes, it’s great." Her comments offered a warm family note as the Danish royals adjusted to the health scare and welcomed Margrethe back to her residence.
Pantomime Theatre Appearance Has Been Canceled
The latest palace message made clear that rest remains the priority. Because Queen Margrethe “must remain calm,” her planned appearance at the Pantomime Theatre on May 23 has been canceled. That decision fits the careful tone of the palace’s update, which focused on recovery rather than a quick return to royal duties. Even after stepping away from the throne, Margrethe has continued to appear at select public engagements, making any cancellation notable for royal watchers following her health and schedule.
Abdication Came After Earlier Health Concerns
Margrethe abdicated in January 2024 after 52 years on the throne, handing over to her son, King Frederik X. As reported by People Magazine, she had previously pointed to health issues when explaining the decision. “In February this year, I underwent extensive back surgery. Everything went well, thanks to the competent health personnel, who took care of me," said Queen Margrethe according to People. She later said the operation prompted thoughts about the future and whether it was time to pass responsibility to the next generation. Recent hospitalizations have kept that decision in sharper focus.